5.20.2009

It's FLEET WEEK!

After a wonderful trip to Florida (which I'm sure Carly may chat more about), coming back to the city during Fleet Week may just help the transition from beach to concrete go a little easier.

Today is the day! New York City kicks off its 22nd annual Fleet Week celebration with a parade of ships along the Hudson River.
According to Newsday, thirteen vessels, including five Canadian ships, are slated to parade up the Hudson River at 11 a.m. The largest and most familiar ship is the USS Iwo Jima, a 40,500-ton assault helicopter carrier.

It's my first time being in NYC for Fleet Week but I understand events will include a military aircraft flyover (which our office wisely sent out an email about as a heads up that there will be low flying planes), free tours of the ships at docks in Manhattan and Staten Island, military band performances and tactical demonstrations by troops. With all that, I may have to wonder down and tour a few ships -- who knows, maybe I'll even hook a sailor.

2 comments:

Carly said...

What girl doesn't love a man in uniform?!

Yah Fleet Week...too bad I'm not there. I trust you'll find me a few good men though.

Heather said...

"a few good men" - love that! I'll have to channel my inner Carly.