9.25.2008

Lack of the prestige...

Heather and I went to see David Blaine's "Dive of Death" last night...uck. It was cool because it was live on TV and so I was talking to my parents while I was there and they were watching. Also, the Trump was there.

I am very angry at myself for not bringing my cord to upload videos from my camera that show David Blaine's lack of magic last night. Yes, I consider him a great magician and very talented. Yes, it is amazing that he hung upside down for as long as he did...I will give him that. However, it wasn't clear to the TV viewers that he took a break almost once an hour and wasn't upside down Wednesday night until the camera's were rolling. Heather and I went to see him twice, and both times, he was not hanging upside down for a good 20 or minutes.

I will upload my videos tonight, showing him hanging out before the TV special (but not upside down) and then his "Dive of Death" which constisted of a bungee that cut him about 3-4 feet before hitting ground. He then was "wisked" away into the night magically.....via enourmous balloons that dropped him about 100 feet from the stage. Very disappointing. It reminds me of a quote from the awesome movie "The Prestige," with Michael Caine, Scarlet Johanssen, Hugh Jackman and more importantly, Christian Bale.

"Every great magic trick consists of three parts or acts. The first part is called 'The Pledge.' The magician shows you something ordinary: a deck of cards, a bird or a man. He shows you this object. Perhaps he asks you to inspect it to see if it is indeed real, unaltered, normal. But of course... it probably isn't. The second act is called 'The Turn.' The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled. But you wouldn't clap yet. Because making something disappear isn't enough; you have to bring it back. That's why every magic trick has a third act, the hardest part, the part we call 'The Prestige.'" - Michael Caine in The Prestige

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah i love watching his street magic but his stunts are boring.