12.10.2008

Northern Hospitality

So it's no secret that since moving here, I have taken four steps back in my financials to the time of my college days. I am again working off of my college grocery shopping theory of only purchasing food items that cost $1.00 or less*. I am proud to say that I have been creative with getting food over the last few days. I'm like a ninja in the City, fighting for survival. Upper East Side survival.

Monday I decided I could afford a slice of pizza (but only cheese mind you), so I went to a place right around the corner from me. PizzaNova. I ordered the deliciousness, but only to find out that they do not take debit or credit cards for purchases under $10 (it came to $2.30). Crap! I didn't have it in me to locate some ATM on such a freezing night, so I said that I would have to forgo the cheesy-goodness. All I could think was, "Please Zeus, I can not eat another biscuit!" It was then that the New York Pizza Gods smiled down on me.

The Italian stallion making the pizza pies looked at me and said, "No, no, you take the pizza. I know you're good for it. You come back another time and pay. You take the pizza." Please note that the sentence was stated in a thick Italian accent that I could hardly understand but in the same right felt cool for hearing. His buddy confirmed the offer that I couldn't refuse.

There it was. What the South is attributed for and what I was told I would lose if I moved here. Hospitality. And damn, it never tasted so good!

I will be back to repay them for that delish slice of pie. I invest quite a bit of money in pizza and they were smart to help this girl out. They will soon be a Fortune 500 company after I am through with them...that is if I ever get money to buy their pizza.

*Please note that inflation has increased the grocery purchasing amount of $1.00 to $5.00.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And, that slice looks like it might be worth two slices, it is so big ;-) Good job!