1.23.2009

ROOMIE SEZ

Ryan Gosling is a genius.

Yes, we all love "The Notebook." I mean, I've even considered asking my brother to edit the movie for me taking out all the current-day scenes in the old folks home just so I could have more quality Gosling time - I get it. But me, what I really love is "The Believer." If you haven't seen this movie, trust me, rent it. It's a twisting, turning, compelling tale of an anti-Semitic Jew. Yeah, heavy and moving. Ryan's best work... closely followed by "The United States of Leland," "Half Nelson," and "Lars and the Real Girl." I guess the point of this rambling is that I can't believe it but he's out done himself.

He's now dipping his toe in the music pool, teaming up with Zach Shields (and local kids choirs) to create Dead Man's Bones. This is no hip-hopin Joaquin Phoenix hijinx and is a far cry from Put Me in the Car. Dead Man's Bones is freshly haunting, theatrical and raw. Check out their first video, "In The Room Where You Sleep" for yourself...


And why add kids to the mix? Ryan breaks it down with the perfect analogy in the band's first interview with Pitchfork...
"We'd rather see a high school play as opposed to a Broadway show any day," Gosling explained. "Not that Broadway shows aren't great, but there's just something about a high school play...you're not distracted by the achievements, you get to watch the process, the will to make something." He continued, "You know when you're a kid and you get crayons and papers and just draw whatever you want and it's just a bunch of messy lines, but to you it makes sense, and then they put it on the fridge? From that point on, you're always trying to get back on the fridge, you start drawing things that look like something, like, the more it looks like a horse, the more chance you have of getting it on the fridge. We wanted to get back to that place before we were trying to make the fridge. We wanted to work with people who hadn't been affected in that way yet."

I say break out the crayons and color outside the lines, Dead Man's Bone is going on my fridge and on my MP3 Player.

No comments: