11.29.2008

Something to be thankful for...

So now that we have officially come out of our food comas, Roomie and I have returned to civilization. We'd like to share some photos from our little Thanksgiving dinner - yes folks...a sneak peek into our personal holiday celebration.

You will see Roomie and I cooking up a storm. To the left, we have Roomie making her Cope's Corn (family favorite I am told) and yummy salad (her own creation - spinach leaves, toasted walnuts, feta cheese, onion and mandarin oranges with a light raspberry vinaigrette!). To the right, I'm cooking the onion and celery down for the stuffing...thank you fasha.

Here I am checking on one of the many items we made, but for the blog's sake, lets say the Tofurky and Texas potatoes. I'm also holding up the Tofurky - the first time I've tried it. While it was nice to have "turkey" at Thanksgiving for the first time in three years...I did not love it. Nor did I love the gravy recipe that went with the Tofurky. Not so much. No recommendations coming from me.

The final Thanksgiving came down to this: Tofurky, stuffing, Texas potatoes, green bean casserole, Cope's corn, Heather's salad, cranberries and crescents. For dessert: Apple crisp with vanilla ice cream.
After a few hours, a few phone calls to Fasha for cooking advice and many "tastings" of our food later, we finished the feast. It was time to cheers ourselves for our first Thanksgiving in NYC and for the first Thanksgiving where we were the ones in the kitchen! Well, truth be told, I usually spend every holiday in the kitchen, but usually as the "official taster" and not the cook.

We ate our meal while watching "Miracle on 34th Street," a nice NYC holiday movie if I do say so myself. I realized while watching the movie and stuffing my face that my grandma Dorthy looked a lot like Maureen O'Day. Here's to hoping that I'll look like that as I age...and have her career....hmmm....
Heather was smart enough to capture the before and after moment's of her first Thanksgiving plate. I can assure you that mine was pretty much the same. Happy Thanksgiving to us!!






No comments: